Kodachadri : The Jasmine of Hills
It was a long pending plan and a must in bucket list to trek Kodachadri before we made plan for ourselves to experience the beauty of Kodachadri. It was a lifetime experience to trek one of the most beautiful places one can witness. Kodachadri is undoubtedly one of the must trekking places in Karnataka.
About Kodachadri :
Kodachadri is a mountain peak with dense forests located at Shivamogga District, Karnataka. It is 10th highest peak (1343 mts above sea level) and 3rd most intense trek in Karnataka. It is also known by name “Kutachadri” and “Kodashi Parvatha”.
Details of Kodachadri Trek:
- Distance : 24 kms both ways
- Difficulty Level: Medium
- Time Taken: 4 to 5 hours (1 way)
- Ideal time to Visit: July to December
- Suggested Age group: 7 to 40
Kodachadri is located between Shivamogga and Kolluru,
- By Air: Mangaluru airport is the nearest airport. One has to travel to Kolluru by road or by rail(not so frequent)
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Byndoor (BYNR ) is 28kms from Kollur and from here one has to reach the any of the 3 trekking options mentioned below.
- By Bus – One has to take bus from Shivamogga (around 3 hours) or Kolluru (1 hour) and hire a local jeep to reach base camp. There are direct buses from Bangalore to Sampekatte, Nittur and Kollur.
- Own Transport: Travelling by own transport should be a good option if you find a place to stay where you can park your vehicles.
There are 3 routes to reach the Kodachadri peak.
- SampeKatte – One has to get down at Sampekatte located around 10 kms from Base Camp and hire a local jeep till Forest Check Post.
Options : Can trek or go by jeep to peak. Get to see Hidlumane Falls, if by trek.
- Nagode – Get down at Kolluru Wildlife Sanctuary (Base Camp) and trek
- Nittur: One can get down at Nittur and start trekking. Jeeps are also available from this point and they go via Sampekatte. This route joins the option 1 of via Sampekatte at Hidlumane.
There is an entry fee of Rs. 25 per head which needs to be paid at Forest Check Post.
Yes, if you are taking the option 1 or 3 .
Bangalore to Kodachadri:
We traveled from Bangalore to Sampekatte by Bus which is around 10 hours journey, and from Sampekatte we were picked by homestay guy. We reached homestay by 7 in the morning. Luckily we reached as planned which provided us the ample of time to refresh ourselves and finish our breakfast.
Reaching the Kodachadri Peak:
We chose SampeKatte route as we get to see Hidlumane Falls. We were accompanied by guide which is a must to trek safe. (Homestay helped us to find 1). The trek can be divided into 3 parts.
- Trek To Hidlumane Falls: As we started from the Sampekatte, the trail was pretty easy. It was actually the jeep route to Kodachadri. After walking a KM or more, we had to deviate from the jeep route to enter into the thick forest of Mookambika forest reserve. The trek suddenly got interesting as we started to explore the forest with considerable amount of ascend. After walking for around 3 Kms from the deviation, we reached Hidlumane.
Hidlumane is the last house and there is a small shop located. We had buttermilk and started our journey to the most awaiting destination Hidlumane falls. Soon, the trail provided us the view of the paddy field with the mountain as the background. After walking for 15 to 20 minutes, we started witnessing a series of falls and trekking through the falls alongside was a totally different experience. The final falls was the Hidlumane falls which was falling from a height of around 50 Ft. Taking a dip in the falls, we continued our trek to the Kodachadri.
2. Trek to Peak:
We had ample amount of time to reach and peak. Path was slightly slippery at few places and very steep at few places. The view of mountains makes you overcome your tiredness and provides refreshing and unique experience with breathtaking views and paths. We find it difficult to explain the beauty of nature.
It took around 3 hours to reach the Jeep Point (2 kms away from peak) where we had our lunch and gave ourselves some time before moving further.
There is a PWD house which can be booked though online which we explored but after seeing the PWD house, we felt happier for not able to get accommodation here.
There is a temple of Mookambika devi here.
We started to peak and it took us around 50 mins to reach to point while travelling through breathtaking views and paths covered with clouds and sun rays peeking through it.
They say kodachadri is the peak one can witness beautiful sunset and true to its word we were blessed enough to witness 1 on the day. It is a memorable experience that we find difficult to put our emotions through words.
3. Reach Base Camp:
It was dark and our guide / homestay had booked jeep for us to reach base camp. It took us 1 hour to reach homestay which was around 12 kms from peak and road was in very bad condition. One has the option to walk back by jeep route too. We opted to take a jeep ride as we wanted to witness the beautiful sunset and it was pretty late to walk back.
Temples at Kodachadri:
- Sarvajna peetha –
It is a is a small temple at the peak where Adi Shankara Acharya meditated. This small structure bears a name which is similar to Sarvajñapīṭha, also called Sharada Peetha of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Sri Mookambika Devi temple –
It is located near travellers’ bungalow and is believed to be the origin of Sri Mookambika Devi.
- Visit to near by places.
We booked a jeep to visit near by places and thanks to homestay guy for suggesting beautiful places nearby.
Sharavathi Back waters / The Hanging Bridge:
It is located around 10 kms from Sampekatte and provides you space to spend some good time. Boat rides are available and you can get 1 if you are lucky enough.
Kolluru Mookambika Temple:
One of the oldest pilgrimage temples located in Karnataka. We were lucky enough to get ample time to visit and spend some good time at temple.
We had booked Durgamba bus from kolluru to Bangalore and reached back Bangalore which completed our one of the most memorable trips /treks.
Other Places to Visit:
Nagara Fort (Located 6 kms from Sampekatte), Udupi, Jog Falls etc.
Suggestions to Trek to Kodachadri:
- It is better to trek via Sampekatte or Nittur as you get to see Hidlumane falls.
- Trekking shoes and trekking pole provides you good support, so make sure you wear good trekking shoes.
- Carry enough eatables (chocolates, dry fruits etc) and water.
- Carry salt / dettol / lighters etc to avoid leeches because Kodachadri is home to leeches
- Can plan your trek with organizers. There would not be much difference in the cost.
- Best Time to Visit is during winter. if you want too much of adventure you can opt for Monsoon trek as well whcih is surely an amazing experience.
- Jeep Charges : 2000, Guide Charges : Depends on season or contact you get.
Thanks to Akshaya Home Stay and Guide who made our trek a memorable one.