Hebbe Waterfalls: A Hidden Gem
It was sudden plan as we were looking for much needed break. We were looking out for places to visit and we found one i.e. Hebbe WaterFalls. It’s a hidden gem in coffee estates of Chikkamagaluru. A must visit waterfalls if you are a nature addict and love to explore places.
About Hebbe Waterfalls:
Hebbe Waterfalls is located about 10 kms from the famous hill station Kemmangundi in Karnataka. It can be reached by walk and Forest Jeeps. The waterfalls is inside a coffee estate. Hebbe Waterfalls gushes down from a height of 551 feet in two stages i.e. Dodda Hebbe (Big Falls) and Chikka Hebbe (Small Falls.) It can be reached by walk and Forest Jeeps. The best option to reach waterfalls is by taking a government approved forest jeep which passes through forest and private estates. The last kilometer needs to be trekked / walked in order to reach the falls.
Details of Hebbe Waterfalls:
- Distance : 10 kms from Kemmangundi Hill Station
- Difficulty Level: Easy (Aged Person / Children can visit)
- Ideal time to Visit: July to December
- Best way to Reach: Forest Jeep and last kilometer trek (Kind of walk)
Reaching Hebbe Waterfalls:
It is located at Kemmangundi Hill Station,
- Own Transport – One can drive / book vehicle and travel till Kemmangundi Forest CheckPost via Birur located in Kadur Taluk. It is 5/6 hours drive from Bangalore.
- By Bus – One has to take bus from Bangalore – Chikmagaluru or Mangalore – Shivmogga (around 6 hours) and hire a local jeep / take local transport to reach Kemmangundi
- By Train – One can take train till Birur Junction near Shivmogga and hire a local jeep / take local transport to reach Kemmangundi
- By Air – Nearest airports are Bangalore and Mangalore.
Forest Jeep charges around 1500 – 2000 which can accommodate around 8 people at once.
Nearest Place to Stay:
One can stay at Kadur which has decent accommodation or Chikmagalore is also a beautiful option if you are looking for city and attractions to visit nearby.
Bangalore to Hebbe waterfalls:
It was an amazing and memorable experience visiting one of the beautiful waterfalls located in Karnataka.
We planned the trip by ourselves and drove our vehicle to visit Hebbe waterfalls in a day. It took around 6 hours for us to reach Kemmangundi from Bangalore. We hired forest jeep to visit falls who took us till last drive point (around 9 kms and 30-45 mins drive). We had to trek / walk the last 1 km which passes through small streams giving us an amazing feel.
The waterfalls true to its word is an amazing and hidden gem which is must visit for everyone. We spent some time in the falls and water was so fresh and was freezing cold.
We reached back Jeep point and then drove back to Bangalore on same day. It was very hectic and made us very tired as we traveled around 13 kms by road.
Other Places to Visit:
Kemmangundi View Point (2 kms from CheckPost), Chikmagaluru city which has plenty places to visit (Need at least 3 days) etc.
Suggestions when visiting Hebbe Waterfalls:
- It is better to pack you lunch / carry enough eatables (chocolates, dry fruits etc) as you won’t get anything to eat nor drink. You have one at Kemmangundi but it won’t be open always. You have to travel back long distance to get good hotel.
- Umbrella / Rain Coats are necessary in rainy seasons.
- Carry salt / dettol / lighters etc to avoid leeches.
- Can plan your visit with organizers or plan for 2 days so it won’t make you feel tired or hectic.
- Best Time to Visit : During / After Monsoon
- Jeep Charges: Around 2000, Guide Not Required.